8/28/14

Thursday Jargon: Curmudgeonly

    I like words; and I like them a lot.  I really believe growing my vocabulary is an important undertaking in my life.  I recently had a conversation with my cousin in which she used the word "curmudgeonly." She was telling this awesome story and bam she just through that word out there! (She has quite an incredible vocabulary and I'm always amazed by here!)  Now, I don't about you, but in that very moment I definitely was taken back.  I had no idea what the word meant.  Now of course I went along with it for a bit; until she used it again!  I sort of figured it out within its context of course, but it lead me to really look it up and understand it more.  I mean come on, don't you want to use this in a sentence at some point today? So here is the meaning:

Curmudgeon: a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.

   
    After learning this new words definition, I can tell you that I could definitely describe  myself as a curmudgeon from time to time.     I am sure there are people in your life that you could describe as a curmudgeon I just don't know if I have the guts to say the word.  But switching gears a bit to something a little deeper.  When I looked up the word instead of thinking of other people that can be like this, I thought of myself.  At times I can be difficult, and have an ill temper.  Those are the times in my life when I let my own emotions get the best of me, life caves in and overwhelms and I lose my bearings.  For me, this is when I am not balanced in life.  Can anyone relate?  I thrive on a schedule and being disciplined; I think most people are like this.  When I am meditating on scripture and really being true about where I am in life and my relationships is where I find balance and joy.  Being a curmudgeonous (is that a word?) person is not who I ever want to be.  With balance and discipline I can strive to be happy and have true joy that pushes through the mundane times and allow Jesus to use me to be that shining light to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment