11/4/14

My 10K Training Schedule- 12 Weeks

It is happening.  January 25th I will be doing a 10K Run and am so excited about it!   I am getting back in to running after completing my first half marathon in April with my brother in law.  It was so much fun and a great feeling of accomplishment.  I had always had "Complete a 1/2 marathon on my to-do list and I checked it off!  Well unfortunately I injured myself during the last 4 miles of the run and did some damage to my knee.

All is not lost though. I took some time off, allowed my knee to heal and now I am feeling good!

 I ran 2 miles last week and felt great-no pain at all!  I am eager to share my training schedule with you all and challenge you to find that fitness challenge for yourself.  If you are a runner I encourage you all to look into THIS website for some great tips.

I am choosing to do a 10K because it is 6.1 miles and that just sounds about right.  I just want to take it easy, and really focus on my new and improved way on running.  Yes I said my new way of running.  Apparently there is a certain way to run.  When I trained for the 1/2 I kind of just went out on runs every now and then, had some decent shoes and then ran a half marathon.  I didn't realize that I was the cause of my own injury.  The cause being ignorance.  I had NO idea that I was running incorrectly.  I kind of just thought, 'hey, I am human, I can run!" I didn't realize that we can get into incorrect forms because of shoes, posture, or all around weakness in our own bodies.

SO.....

This time around I am actually running smarter not harder, and hopefully I will avoid injury. I put together my training schedule, improper/proper running techniques, and beneficial shoes.

Improper Running Techniques:

1. Heel Striking:
2. Over striding
3. Posture

Watch HERE to see the differences in Heel Striking, forefoot and mid foot
 and here for proper posture.

Proper Running Techniques:

1. Neutral Foot
2. Slight forward lean from ankles
3. Active push off

This video shows great posture and tips for proper form in running.  Another thing I did was to record myself running and play it in slow motion to analyze what I was doing wrong.  Being able to see what I was really doing was so helpful.  I also did this when picking out new running shoes.  There are so many stores all over that do this for their customers.  You actually run in the store and they record you, play it in slow motion and then pick a shoe that best fits your running form.

I went to A Snail's Pace and got great service and awesome choices of shoes that best fit my pronating foot.

Shoes are essential when training of any kind.  I do not recommend buying the on sale shoes from payless when it comes to the shoes that will be helping absorb so much impact on your body.  Your shoes should be working for you.

I personally love Asics GT-2000 because of their neutral form and the way they absorb the shock. They are amazing shoes and once you find something that works for you, its best to stick with them.

I hope that in whatever fitness venture you find yourself in, these tips will benefit you in some way.




No comments:

Post a Comment