11/23/14

Why Comparing Sucks // Be You

Me and my beautiful baby girl. {Photo cred: My sis}

Why? Why am I not like her?  Why do they have such an amazing relationship?  I want to know scripture that well! Why can't I be more direct? Oh gees the list goes on and on-sometimes unbenounced to us too.  Why?  Why do we do this?  Does it even help in any way at all?  All comparing does is create this insatiable envious monsterbot who is not satisfied with life , keeps you in a slump, and causes bitterness. Ugh!

Well...today loves be encouraged:

 Be different.  
Be confident
Be who you want
Be you.
Just Be...

I have heard quite a bit in conversation, he or she was 'playing the victim role.'  This is where maybe in a real life scenario you didn't want so and so to go to some event because you couldn't go so you say something like, "You always do things when I'm busy." Or "Well maybe I had something planned, but you just seem to have your own agenda" (Victim mentality)  I struggle with this. This passive aggressive, not saying what I am really feeling in the moment thing. I often shudder and retract, thinking that I am okay with a decision I made and I really am not.  

Take Ownership!

If you don't like something-change it!  Be in charge!  When we compare and compare and compare ourselves to friends, to family, heck even strangers, we take on the victim role.  That role gets us stuck and it can be a sick twisted cycle of nasty if we don't get out! Taking ownership, initiative and satisfaction in ones life helps refute the monster of comparison.  When we are met with love in those deep places in the fabric of our being, it is there that we begin to see self worth.  

How do we allow love in those deep places? 

Community
 (More to come on this-so stay tuned)

Community is where we discover. Community is where we can learn and be vulnerable.  Community is where we grow.  

Now community looks very different from person to person.  I think community can be a very difficult thing to cultivate at various levels; but when we try-the results are the same: being known.
Whether you need to create a space for community within your own marriage, within a friend group, or family.  This process helps the 'just be' mentality and helps rid the "why not me?" mentality.

My husband and I are in the process of finding new ways to create community in our own home.  Whether that be cooking a meal together, reading a new book, or simply asking those random 'first date' questions again, creating that space to be known is important!  You cannot wait for someone else to create it for you.  If you want it, make it happen!  Step out, take courage and be you!

In the words of Shayna: "You do you, and I'll do me."  Such wise words.  Thanks Shayna.

What parts of you do you compare?  Where do you find worth?  How do you create community?






No comments:

Post a Comment