11/7/14

Book Review: "Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety"



Hello ya'll, if you are new around here, no I am not from the south, but yes I sometimes say ya'll. 

Thank you for stopping by, my name is Ashley.

 If you have been looking for a great book to sink into that will totally capture your attention and make you a better person after reading it-this is your book.  I came across this gem while reading Jess Connolly's Blog where she greatly recommended this book.  I looked up the author: Elyse Fitzpatrick and immediately fell in love with many of her book titles.  I was just amazed at how real this lady appeared to be with the plethora of books she had written on real topics.  I was definitely drawn to the title of the book I am now reading-"Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety." Titles like this get me all excited because I really respect women or people who have the tenacity to really unpack deep humanity-filled issues.

The first few chapters have already been so meaty, and worthy of writing down somewhere to be reminded of the great truth that has been revealed.  The author begins with talking about a few women and how fear has affected them, and digging deeper into what fear is, and what we can do to gain tools to overcome.

Some quotes:

"...Fear is a felt reaction to a perceived danger."

"The power or ability to stand in the face of trouble and trials is part of God's gracious gift to His children"

"Undisciplined imaginations are the cause of discouragement and anxiety."

"As I grow in my comprehension of God's love, wisdom , and sovereign power, my trust in Him and ability to refute vain imaginations grow as well."

"Perhaps we think that God really isn't in charge or that He is too far away or too busy to get involved in our day to day lives."

The author goes in to a lot of detail regarding the need to be in control and how that affects our relationships with others as well as God.  She goes on to say that needing to be in control deep down is really a trust issue with God. She traces it back to the garden and the first fear experienced by Eve being that God was withholding something from her.  The fear that she was missing out on something and that her creator isn't giving her His best.

I'm telling you-deep stuff and super informative and encouraging.  I love being able to connect certain behaviors and thoughts to the deep dark stuff!  Woah-calm down Ash!  Ha!  Seriously though this book is incredible so far and I cannot wait to sink in a little deeper.

I am always up for hearing and learning of other books.  My next book interest was recommended by my dear cousin-currently reading "The Unsearchable Riches of Christ-Martin Lloyd-Jones.

What book/s have impacted you?  Do you have a book that dug deep?

I would love to know!




No comments:

Post a Comment