11/12/14

Oils and Their Smoke Points

Oils

Smoke Points 

Cold Pressed






Defining some terms-

Cooking Oils: plant, animal, synthetic used in cooking, frying, or baking

Cold Pressed: temperature cannot reach above 115 Fahrenheit during entire process.

Smoke Points: the temperature at which the oil stops shimmering in pan and starts                                                         sending off smoke


I have always been told to cook with EVOO.  I don't know what came first, my Mom telling me it was the best to use, or Rachel Ray coining that product.  Either way I always used Extra Virgin Olive Oil no matter what I was doing in the kitchen.  I never once thought about choosing cold-pressed bottles, or ever considering other oils.  I figured vegetable oil was bad, and olive oil was the healthiest.  Well-I definitely received a rude awakening when a friend and I went to a little refresh retreat for the day in Forest Fall a couple months ago.  I was informed that cold pressed was the only way to consume oils in all circumstances.  If you are consuming oils that do not say cold pressed on them, they really aren't all that good for you.  I know what you are thinking-"Then why are they in the grocery stores if they aren't good for us?" Well I buy Oreos from the grocery store and...I think you get the picture.  I am just glad I was informed with the knowledge-plus it really makes sense when you think about it.  When an oil is being produced-the vegetable, nut, fruit or plant, must be pressed.  Adding heat always speeds up reaction time (chemistry anyone?) but there is of course a chemical change which in turn results in a not-so-good oil for us.  

Now I always buy my oils with the label cold-pressed on them.  I feel that I am feeding my family a little bit better, knowing the oil we ingest hasn't had a chemical make-over.

Oh but there is more...

As my research continued I learned that there were many more oils out there that never received any attention from me. (cue: sad face) I started looking into coconut oil, avocado oil, sesame seed oil, walnut oil and so many more.  That is when I started hearing the 'smoke point' phrase.  Yes, different oils will smoke at different temperatures. You can see how the types of cooking you do can affect the oils you choose.  I was discovering that olive oil actually fell pretty low on the temperature scale for smoking-meaning at 320 degrees Fahrenheit.  Olive oil is more suited for salads, dressings, and pan searing-not for prolonged frying or sauteing.

This link for Cooking Oils and their Smoke Points is very informative and has just about every oil you would need to know.  Awesome stuff!

Here is little list of the oils I use/will use for all my frying/sauteing purposes:

Walnut Oil: 400 degrees
Sesame Oil: 410 degrees
Peanut Oil: 450 degrees
Grapeseed Oil: 392 degrees



What oils do you cook with?





No comments:

Post a Comment