12/7/14

5 Ways to shake those Nerves for that New Job


I have heard it said a lot-I've even said it a lot. "So...pretty nervous for your first day? This phrase is said countless times, for jobs, school, internships, and every time it does nothing for the person receiving it.  I recognize that in our culture there are several upon several phrases that are passed around because they are deemed as polite.  I recognize that and am appreciative for these phrases in that cultural context.  However-being an already nervous-anxious person that I am-that phrase bothers me.  I really do not need another nervous question being asked to an already nervous anxious person. You feel me?

 So I am sitting here writing out my thoughts regarding how I, as well as others, can shake off the anxieties, disregard or answer well the nervous questions, and find peace and rest within for the new job that awaits.

                                          *5 Things*

1. Prepare to YOUR best knowledge and then STOP

You can only know so much before your first day at a new job.  Handbooks and documents will tell you clean cut ways and procedures in which to do something-but its not the real life situation.  When it comes to your first day-being there is your best preparation.  All the worrying before hand and stressing over possible scenarios is not helpful-so stop! I am literally the queen of hypothetical scenarios!

2. You are a Learner

As much as you are there to know-you are there to learn.  Being able to recognize that you will make a mistake or two or three is a good thing.  You are a human, so you are not perfect. Sometimes that is a good reminder.  For some silly reason we think we are perfect :/ I'm sure you've never dealt with that! Ha! Learning and being new is expected-give yourself grace and allow that to sink in.

3. Be Present

Nervousness and anxiety take away from the present moment.  It is the worry of future scenarios that we anxious folk deal with.  Being in the moment, breathing in the world around you with all senses is so helpful. Doing this will free up your thinking, get you out of your mind for a minute and allow for some refreshment.  Listen to what the book of Jeremiah says in 31:25 "I will refresh the weary and satisfy the faint." Be in the moment, be present.

4. You are Adequate 

Often times starting a new job can bring about feelings of uncertainty and inadequacy.  Because new jobs, bring new situations, new people, and new circumstances-it is very easy to feel inadequate and out of place.  Well beloved, you are enough.  Do you believe that?  You got this job for a reason, and being adequate is definitely one of them. 2 Cor. 3:5 "Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God..." We are always a work in progress-everyone is. When are confidence and hope is built on the firm foundation of God, we will always be equipped.  God will always meet us where we feel we have fallen short.

5.  Remember Your Eternal Value

Carrying around something as big as the gift that I do should change my day to day.  Living for the glory of God (1 Cor. 10:31) says that I hold value.  My eternal value enlarges my interactions, my language, and outlook on life. The now is happening, the future is not.  God is the one whom I work for ultimately, and He is the one I want to please.  You are valuable.


What did you do to prepare for a new job?  How did you conquer the anxious monster?

No comments:

Post a Comment