9/27/13

Great things come in small packages//Bundle of Joy

I am a Mom! Our little girl was delivered on September 6th at 3:40pm.  We were blessed with being able to deliver at Loma Linda Medical as well as have an awesome nurse that we knew be in the room for delivery.  All in all I feel so blessed that everything went so well.  There are so many complications and variations that could have occurred and didn't so we praise God for that.

    Thursday September 5th I was having some intermittent contractions that increased slightly throughout that night.  They were about 1.5 hours apart and really only lasted 20-30 seconds.  By 5am on the 6th my husband and I went on a walk around our neighborhood and sure enough they started to increase.  My husband downloaded an app that helped time the contractions so we would know when to leave for the hospital.  When we got back to the house contractions were about 20 minutes apart and we knew we wanted to wait it out at the house until they were 5 minutes apart lasting for 60 seconds or longer.  We learned all of this from our Bradley Method Classes.  The class came in handy and we are so thankful that we did it.  Around 9:30am. after having many, many more contractions, we were at 5 minutes apart, so we headed to the hospital.  Of course the parking lot was crazy full when we got there so I got out and head to labor and delivery while Drew parked the car.  I remember thinking that I couldn't believe it was actually happening.  There were so many feeling and sensations and all I wanted was to meet her.
   
    After I was admitted they took me to a room and I got all situated.  Drew met me in their shortly after, it was then that our nurse came in and asked if our friend could be our main nurse for the afternoon.  I was so stoked that she had her shift that day, and I was so excited that she was going to be helping us out.

    After we got all situated one of the nurses checked my dilation, which to our surprise was at 6 cm!  They were pretty impressed that we had waited it out so long at the house. So while the contractions increased, Drew and I got into position which for me was on all fours.  That was the most comfortable position due to me having back labor.  Little Miss Riley Mae never turned for us, so she was born sunny-side up.  Pretty much the most ideal way to deliver a baby is when the come head down and face down.  Riley was head down, face up, which causes severe back labor.  All of the contractions I felt were in my low back glute area.  Drew, who was such an amazing coach and active participant on that day, did what we call counter pressure on my back during each contraction.  This allowed me to breath a little easier each contraction.  He told later that he was literally using all of his strength to push down on my back.  The pressure I was feeling from Riley was so intense though I don't think I would have made it without Drew.  Those classes though we took completely prepared us for knowing how to handle back labor.  We tried other positions but nothing felt as good as being on all fours.  So as labor progressed Drew was good at keeping me hydrated and making sure he was there to give encouragement.  I am truly blessed that I have a partner that was so involved with every aspect.  He was right by my side the whole time making it feel like we were a team.

    As a few hours passed I was told that I had a bulging bag of waters. The main amniotic fluid which surrounded Riley had not burst yet and I would not feel urge to push until that happened.  So the doctor checked me again and that was when it broke and hard second stage started.  Immediately after the water broke my body involuntarily started pushing which they were yelling saying not to push.  That was stressful.  At that point I was still on all fours and they turned my around and just went right into pushing.  I pushed for 30 minutes with a slight scare near the end.  The cord was around her neck and I was not pushing hard enough.  They were concerned about her heart rate and were getting ready to do an episiotomy as well as use the suction.  Well after hearing that I must have pushed harder, which didn't seem possible and there she came.  It was amazing to feel all of those sensations and I do not regret going medicine/drug-free.  I am so thankful that everything went so well that I could go drug free.  She came out and they unwrapped the cord form around her neck, but she was completely fine. 6 lbs 15 oz and 19 inches.  They put her on my chest and Drew and I shared in a moment that I will never forget.  She was absolutely perfect and in that moment we were a family. It was such an overwhelming experience and I see how good God is.


       He has completely blessed us with a child that he wants us to raise.  It is such an honor to be able to raise a little girl.  What a huge responsibility it is though to have a little innocent life now living in our house and needing so many things from us.  The selflessness is just on a whole other level that I never imagined.  God sure has been showing me alot the last few weeks with her.

   Firstly, not working, and staying home has been quite a shocking experience for me.  I am used to alot of adult interaction, and just talking to a baby all day can be a bit wearing on a person.  I love spending time with her of course but it is a whole different animal being a Mom to a little newborn.
  Secondly, breastfeeding is such a crazy awesome experience.  Yes at times it feels like she is on my boob all day, but I have learned to treasure these moments as I know they are fleeting.  Breastfeeding can be very challenging , but it is also very rewarding knowing that something I produce can give her life and help her little body grow.
 Thirdly, I was all concerned about getting postpartum depression because of all the research I had done and just the sheer fact that transitions can be tough; and I don't have the best track record for dealing with transitions very well.  I did cry alot the first two weeks, as everything was so new and I had no idea what the heck I was doing.  I think the hardest part was just accepting the craziness of it all.  I had to learn how to relax when she cried and not freak out that I was doing something wrong.  I had to learn how to relate to her and realize that she cam in to my life not the other way around.  I was so focused on her the first two weeks I didn't even have an appetite.  I didn't know how to carry on with life and everything seemed so intense.  I know now that alot of that had to do with hormones getting back into place, but another reason was just the fact that I was so focused on the pregnancy and labor that I hadn't thought too much about being a Mom and what that really looked like.  Not that even spending alot of time researching that would have helped, but still.  I think the concern was valid for getting depressed, but I am pleased to say that I do not have it and I am thankful.

   Right now what I am focusing on is just trying to be a good Mom, with plenty of grace.  This job is not for the faint of heart and I am learning to be in the season, just as little Riley is learning.  We are both learning together and that is all we can do.


  One more thing until next time:



my prayer life has blossomed.  Those midnight feedings and silence have allowed me to really slow down and pray for my little girl.. Aspects of her life, her future, that she wont get hiccups that keep her up...all sorts of things.  I have been able to pray for friends more and really allow the Lord to work on my anxiety.  These things are precious and need to be lifted up to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment