9/3/14

Wellness Wednesday: Soul Care

     When was the last time you connected with a friend? What about the last time you really paused and reflected? Today I want to talk about:




Soul Care



I know when I am in the midst of crazy it is challenging to pause and take care of my soul.

Soul care is defined by David Benner as this:"the support and restoration of the well-being of persons in their depth and totality, with particular concern for their inner life. Soul care is done in the context of community."


I like this definition simply because of the very last statement- "in community."  I know for me personally, soul care is done with those whom I love and trust.  Connecting with a person on a soul level, a deep personal level in which you are safe and understood.  Soul Care is being intentional with yourself and caring for yourself to the point that you schedule time to spend with those people that care deeply and passionately about you.  If you do not have people like that in your life, you need to get them.

Let's be honest, we all fail in this area. But if we really knew the impact soul care had, I think we would do it more.   I like the analogy of thirst.  When our bodies are thirsty and we crave a refreshing beverage, we are dehydrated, which causes all sorts of other symptoms.  Thirst is a trigger that we have gone too long without hydrating. It is a bad thing in one sense.  This is comparable to soul care. When I am off balance in life, it is because I did not connect and decompress in some way.

You have to find ways to keep your soul cared for- Here is a list that I compiled that I think will help:


  1. Schedule time with friends
  2. Journal your thoughts
  3. Learning about Jesus and His character
  4. Spending time  worshipping The Lord 
  5. Serving others

No comments:

Post a Comment