1/8/15

Why Bring Religion into Your Marriage?


When Drew and I were dating, it was really important to the both of us that we understood one another on many different levels-one of those being spiritual.  Throughout our relationship we have made it a point to go to church and to have 'real' conversations regarding faith in the context of daily living and possible hardships. Over the years, we have come to know and understand each other in fuller, more robust ways because we have a spiritual/religious connection.

Relationships definitely take on so many forms, and I have seen and been friends with people who have such deep connections with their spouses, and yet do not affiliate with any such religions or religious practices.  I am not here to say those relationships are somehow less-than in the least bit because I think they are genuine and have seen them last.  I am however here to say that from my own personal experience I have been enriched, enlightened and connected to Drew through our spirituality that I never thought possible.

Hardships-
We have been together for 5 years and married for almost 3-throughout that time we have had our fair share of trials.  We have been able to lean on someone higher than ourselves in those times that not only grew our faith, but enriched our marriage.  We were able to see how we deal with struggles personally as well how to come together as a unit under God and seek Him in the midst of it all.  Having the spiritual connection allowed us to see beyond the temporary and as a couple look towards the future and find hope for the present.

Family-
Now having Riley, it seems like conversations about the future have increased tremendously.  Talking about what sports she will play, schools she will attend, and the age we will let her date! I know it has been overwhelming at times for sure, but knowing that we are on the same page about where we will take her to church, that we want to pray for her and talk about God with her makes for a smoother transition.

Stepping into the Unknown-
Risks present themselves everyday, whether you choose to take them is your choice.  I find that risk-taking is a little easier with a partner in crime by your side. Lately we have been opening up our home to some outside religions, because we can, and we like it.  There are a couple Mormon missionaries roaming the streets at night here in my town and we have had some pretty great conversations lately.  This right here is another connection for Drew and I.  Having religious conversations with other religions is really awesome-great way to make friends, and draw closer with your spouse.

Love-
We all at the core of us want to lover better.  I think so.  I know I do.  I love that what Drew and I share is rooted in something deeper.  Something that has helped us love one another better.  I am all for that because marriage is tough!  If we can gather more and more things that help make marriage that much easier and helps us love better, I am all for that!  Finding a common goal within our spiritual connection through Jesus together has allowed us to love deeper and understand more fully.

“The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” -Noah Calhoun



No comments:

Post a Comment