10/12/14

How to Have Better Relationships




        There are so many stages in life that I would have preferred a "How to" manual for.  A book that literally has every scenario possible that could happen in a relationship or situation  that would tell you  exactly how to respond.  BUT…that is not life, that book does not exist and often times we are left to our own devices to muddle through life's difficulties.  Alright. PAUSE. Yes it is true about that manual not existing with all those scenarios, but NO we are not left to our own devices.  That would be a sad, sad depressing world.  I don’t and will not live in a world like that.  There is good news though.  Good news for those who may be in a relational bind, those who do not ‘feel’ that connection anymore with a friend, or a spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend, those struggling in the battle of their minds.   Rest assured there is hope people, there is hope. There are tools that have helped me better my relationships where I have been able to see  growth, reconciliation, and true happiness occur.  

      For me, that tool has been the word-the bible-the good book.  No it does not give all the answers to all the world’s problems or relational issues, but it has helped millions of people and I definitely will attest to its powers and the God who it is about.  

      The bible is filled with many wonderful stories, historical facts and romance.  The bible is filled with ONE big story-the story of a man who loved.  A love so strong that he not only came to this earth as a baby, having all emotions and issues that humans have, but also divine Godly power, living a sinless life and then dying for the sins of the world.  If I am to live and breathe, survive and thrive in this world, I need someone to look to.  Someone who did life and thrived.  Someone who loved perfectly.  Because after all, isn't that what this life is really all about?  Love. This guy sounds pretty awesome to me.

Love is the essence of life.
  Either the presence of it or the absence. 
It always will boil down to love.

       I read and try to live by the bible-the word- because it is a tool. In fact, it is the best tool.  Building and growing in relationships is not an easy task, the book of Psalms clearly points out “He (God) heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” There are countless verses that infer that relationships are hard and people hurt people.


       Now. Let me pause for a second time.  I am not here to shove my beliefs or opinions as if they are absolute truth and all other ways are incorrect or that you are not entitled to your own.  I hope that is not how I am coming across.  I am merely sharing what I think is good news, and what has helped me in my relationships over the past 26 years.

      Times in my life where I have been going through an emotional storm, having relationship issues or just battling low self esteem/worth I have turned to the bible for hope.  God is alive and well and lives and breathes life into us through His word.  I have found peace in verses during times when life was completely chaotic.
    
      Often times, it is in the moments of weakness, when we are at the end of the rope that we turn to God.  We as humans tend to turn to something bigger than ourselves when something bigger and out of our control is happening.  These are moments when true character arises.  These are the character building moments.  The moments that friendships are tested, when who we are really shines through.  What are you anchored to?  What holds you firm and strong through the trials that come?  We never know when those moments will come, but I believe it is our job to stay prepared.  Much as an athlete always sticks to their training and diet regiment on and off season.  We must also train and prepare in the word-

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come." 1 Tim 4:8

    This is who I want to be.  This is what I try to strive for.  Being Godly and trying to love others better.  Jesus was the perfect man who walked this earth, so logically to me, it makes sense to follow and study how he lived, acted and spoke. That is my tool to having better relationships. 


 Follow Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment