10/22/14

Cooking Through F A L L *Butternut Squash and Tomato Posole*

I thought it would be super fun to actually pick out some semi-challenging, tasty, fall inspired dishes this season. I really love cooking, but I tend stick to the things I know how to make and try my best not to venture into unchartered territory. (Don't want to scare off the husband)  He likes a dozen or so recipes and I try to rotate around those.

I just have loved seeing everyone's house decorated with pumpkins and all kinds of pumpkin everything.  I had recently seen on pinterest all the Fall produce that becomes available and decided that I wanted to kick it up a bit and try something new.  I decided on a dish that focused around butternut squash-and you know what? It turned out great!

You will have to forgive me though-my camera has recently fallen ill so the pictures below are not mine.

                                    Here is the recipe: Butternut Squash and Tomato Posole

Butternut Squash & Tomato Posole

Ingredients


  • 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, preferably no-salt added
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 cups chopped red onion
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 3 cups diced (1/2-inch) peeled butternut squash (see Tip)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 15-ounce can white hominy, rinsed
  • 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1 ripe but firm avocado, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
 
Super easy and fast-just a little simmering until the squash is soft, top with cilantro and avocado (always extra avocado :) and consume!  Seriously so delicious and different and warm and mmmmm so good.  Those of my peeps from California-just crank your air conditioning down in your house and pretend that its super cold outside to be enjoying soup.  We don't need to be reminded that its almost November and it was 90 degrees today.  Shhhhh. You and that soup don't need to be thinking about that!
 
 
I challenge you to pick some dish out of your comfort zone, something fall related and make it!  My next culinary feat from "Cooking Through F A L L" will be a Boozy Pumpkin Pie post by: Daisy from "Simplicity Relished"

No comments:

Post a Comment